<

Are macs really 'virus-proof'?

Postby hartwood99 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:32 pm

So, I've had a macbook pro for about two months now and absolutely love it as it's so much more than I expected it to be. However, the main reason why I got it is because people say 'Mac's don't get viruses'. I'd like to know to what extent this is true. For example, I've purchase some files off the web but am anxious to open them as a virus destroyed my last laptop. If it has a virus, will my mac simply deal with it and destroy it, or will I be in trouble again. Many thanks
hartwood99

Postby whistler » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Macs are not virus proof. The reason people say that is because not as many nerds with no life have macs. Its is extremely simple to make a mac virus but much harder to execute it into the system and if it is executed then it causes monster damage to the system utterly resulting in a kernel panic causing the system to crash, causing you to cuss and break the laptop which makes you buy a new laptop and everything is repeated. Here is a real purchase for a mac antivirus, it is not spyware, it is made by apple.

Click real edition after plugging in this link: http://www.iantivirus.com/purchase/
whistler

<

Postby balfour » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Mac are more difficult to infect with viruses than a Windows platform. However they are as vulnerable to malware and spyware as a Windows system. Many people, today, seem to think malware and spyware are the same as virus infection and they are not. Check the linked article below by PC magazine.

And should you have any doubt about your system becoming infested with anything..just take a look at this article at Apple about removing Mac Defender, a phishing scam. See 2nd link.
balfour

Postby avinoam35 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:03 pm

No computer is virus proof. Mac's are less likely to get a virus because there aren't as many in circulation as pc's. The hackers just haven't sat down and written many as of yet.
avinoam35

Return to MacBook