<

Are Macs worth the money?

Postby erchanbold » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:02 am

I wanna get a high end iMac or MacBook Pro 15"...
erchanbold

Postby tomos12 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:04 am

This can depend a lot on what you intend to use your computer for.

Macs are generally viewed as being easier to use, though if you are used to using a Windows computer it will probably be very strange and somewhat confusing. Further, the operating system has been shown to be more stable. On the downside, many popular/common programs don't work on Macs, or work only in a limited fashion.

They do cost more money for the performance they give, but every piece of hardware is compatible with every other piece of hardware - an occasional problem with Windows computers.

If you're going for a gaming computer, DO NOT get a Mac. Most games are Windows-only, or cost more for the Mac version (while being less stable).

For graphic design purposes, a Mac can be preferable, as that's what is used in the industry, and the better-integrated hardware means higher system stability - an important factor when you're running something like Photoshop, which can use enormous amounts of system resources.

If you're just looking for a computer for email, internet, and office-type work (typing papers and making presentations, for example), buying a Mac would be a waste. The increased performance and system integration is irrelevant here.

As a final note - if you really want a do-it-all system, you can purchase a Mac and then install Windows on it using a program called Bootcamp that comes with the Mac operating system. At that point, you have access to every program for either operating system, while only having to purchase one computer (though it's an expensive one). This has the additional cost of purchasing a copy of Windows, and the hassle of actually installing and configuring it, but if you really want everything....
tomos12

<

Postby cicero88 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:06 am

No, macs are for people who don't know their computers.

Your hardware and software will always be quickly obsolete if you buy a mac.
cicero88

Postby berend » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:08 am

In my opinion, hell no. While it does depend slightly on what you plan on doing with it, you don't get anything that is worth the extra expense, you are basically paying for the name. There is nothing you can do on a Mac you cannot do on a PC platform, and with a PC platform, you get way more bang for your buck as far as hardware goes.
berend

Postby jess » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:25 am

macs are those gadgets which are just meant for gadget purpose.you seriously dont get to learn what is a computer.
i purchased a mac earlier but was disappointed by how quickly the type you buy becomes obselete.
now i have switched back to normal pc and it hasnt let me down even once.
but hear it,its just my opinion,some people consider mac to be well above pc.
its your choice after all i.e. what do you want to do?
cheers.
jess

Postby shandley » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:34 am

macs are those gadgets which are just meant for gadget purpose.you seriously dont get to learn what is a computer.
i purchased a mac earlier but was disappointed by how quickly the type you buy becomes obselete.
now i have switched back to normal pc and it hasnt let me down even once.
but hear it,its just my opinion,some people consider mac to be well above pc.
its your choice after all i.e. what do you want to do?
cheers.
It depends on what you need. Macs are usually easier to use than PCs but they also run less programs. If you are getting a computer just to surf the internet and do simple things like that, I would recommend a Mac, but if you need a computer for things like spreadsheets, word processing, gaming or anything that requires a high end graphics card I would recommend a PC.

In my opinion, no Macs are not worth the money b/c you can get a PC with more features for a lot less, but I can understand why people would like Macs b/c of there ease of use.
shandley

Postby berto » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:39 am

I'd like to think so.
They're powerful and elegant. It's a solid operating system, and you can even run windows on it if you need to. In fact the mac hardware probably handles windows better than most windows based computers.
Put simply, they are worth the money. My macs have always been reliable for me and a delight to use.
berto

Postby bowden » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:45 am

I'd like to think so.
They're powerful and elegant. It's a solid operating system, and you can even run windows on it if you need to. In fact the mac hardware probably handles windows better than most windows based computers.
Put simply, they are worth the money. My macs have always been reliable for me and a delight to use.
No, but there is a few options to get it waaaay cheaper than in retail stores. Like this stiwin auction:

http://www.stiwin.com/

I've seen some macbooks were sold for under 300$ there.
bowden

Return to MacBook