<

Can i hook up a regular PC monitor to my macbook if it is running windows on bootcamp?

Can i hook up a regular PC monitor to my macbook if it is running windows on bootcamp?

Postby efran » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:55 am

just b/c i think PC monitors are cheaper than mac monitors - is this possible? if so, how do i hook it up?
i am running windows xp.
efran

Postby weardhyll » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:58 am

The type of adapter you get depends on the type of macbook you have which you did not include. Your Macbook might have a Mini DVI port or a Mini Display Port - it depends on when it was built.

The type of adapter you get also depends on what your hooking it up to - which you did not include. Monitors generally support VGA and DVI - so you will want a Mini DVI (or mini display port) to a DVI (or VGA). Once you have it though, it will work the same on mac as it does for windows.

They sell them almost everywhere. Just pop in to best buy and tell them what kind of macbook you have and what kind of monitor your hooking it up to and they will get you the right adapter. They cost around $20. You then can hook it up to any monitor, tv, projector, etc...

Apple monitors are a little higher quality, have a few extra gizmos for the laptop and of course, the name brand. That's why they are more expensive.
weardhyll

<

Postby twyford » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:04 am

Of course you can. All Macbooks are equipped with a video output jack which will work with any PC monitor as long as you have the right adapter.

If you have the all-white or all-black Macbook, it has a miniDVI port. You will need a miniDVI adapter that converts to whatever plug your monitor uses.

If you have the 2008 silver-and-black Macbook, it has a miniDisplayPort. You will need a miniDisplayPort adapter that converts to whatever plug your monitor uses.

Hope this helps.
twyford

Return to MacBook