<

Can MacBook Pro Computers have a virus?

Postby twyford48 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:40 am

Is it possible for Apple MacBook Pro Computers to have a virus?
twyford48

Postby dunstan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:47 am

You can block 99.99% of every malicious program for mac by watching what you purchase and run. IF any application or purchase you run asks for the admin password, be sure you trust the app. Any app with the admin password can modify system files. Apps absolutely cannot modify systems files without the admin password. Coupled with the firewall - your generally safe without antivirus software on mac. The root and user separation (which windows does not have) on Mac/Linux make it extremely difficult to write a virus for Mac/Linux. It has little to nothing to do with market share - hackers take the path of least resistance and it is easy to infect a computer with no user-root separation and a registry that stores all system settings in one place (windows).

PC users have been complaining for years that macs get viruses all the time. I have been running my mac and Linux boxes without antivirus software for 10 years and not a single thing has happened (I have checked with McAffee) . You would think a PC user would make a virus out of spite by now that can do the equivalent damage a PC virus does (since they clam its so easy to do) - but none have ever appeared.
dunstan

<

Postby ellyson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:48 am

MacDude has it right. There are no MacOS X viruses, there hasn't been one released since 2006. So your MacBook Pro can't get a Mac virus. You can purchase and install a Mac trojan (about 10 released) if you are greedy (river of Photoshop) or gullible (software to watch not fun, real iTunes gift card). All the Mac trojans require you to install them with your admin password. You cannot catch anything on a Mac by visiting a website, opening an email or clicking on an ad. You can have a Windows virus on a Mac but it doesn't do anything to a Mac. There are over 1.5 million forms of Windows viruses/malware. If you share a flashdrive with a Windows computer you could in theory pass the virus from a Mac to a Windows computer. Sophos is giving away a real Mac anti-virus. It will slow a Mac down. 4% of Macs checked by Sophos have been found to have malware, 99.96% of the reported malware found on Macs by Sophos has been Windows malware. The rest have been those few trojans. So roughly 4 out of every 10,000 Mac computers have Windows malware on them.About 1.5 out of every 100,000 Mac computers have Mac malware on them. That's how many gullible or greedy Mac users there are.
ellyson

Postby terron50 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:50 am

In short YES it is possible for a Mac of any kind to get a virus or malware of any kind.
most viruses are written for window because that's the most common operating system but because Apple Macs are becoming popular virus writers are turning their attention to them the same applies to Linux machines
terron50

Postby tennyson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:01 am

yes but its less to do with a virus my macbook pro got a bug from the new itunes and it would just hhave a blue screen when i turn it on but after like 500 times and i while of waiting it worked again and the help and support told me it could come bk and i should send it of for repair which would deleate everything on my software
tennyson

Postby shoemowetochawcawe51 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:13 am

Yes they can equally get virus but as mac has a small community thus virus developers for mac are very few thats why there remains only fewer chances for mac's snow leopard to get jeopardized by virus
shoemowetochawcawe51

Postby kempe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:18 am

Any computer can have a virus, it's just that the ones for PCs are more common. Make sure your antivirus protection is updated and contact Apple tech support.
kempe

Postby quinlan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:25 am

In theory yes, but they're so hard to make work on mac programs which make them rare. i have a macbook pro and no anti virus for a while now and no virus problems
quinlan

Postby azrael » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:27 am

yes.....no computer in the world is 100% safe from viruses.
azrael

Return to MacBook