<

Delete WD Elements Ext. Hard Drive autorun files on Mac?

Postby dilyn » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:11 pm

I just bought a WD Elements 1TB portable external hard-drive. I plugged it into my Macbook (running Leopard) and there's an autorun folder and an autorun.inf file, both of which are locked. Inside the autorun folder the only file is wdlogo.ico, which supposedly is an icon to replace the regular Windows drive icon. Well, it doesn't work on Leopard and also it apparently prevents me from changing the Leopard hard drive icon into a different icon (I like to use black and white ones).
Anyway, from what I can tell deleting these files would be harmless and I really want to delete them because I want to keep my hard drive organized, but they are locked and I can't unlock them on the "Info" window (the check box is grayed out (permission is read only), so I can't delete them either.
Should I try formatting the drive? I'll only be using it with Macs anyway. Does anyone know if it's ok to do that? I'm wondering if there might be any reason why I'd want to keep these files.
dilyn

Postby beaman21 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Go ahead and format it, I don't have a clue what the files are for, but they aren't crucial to the HD. Make sure you do a mac format if you don't intend to use it with PC's. If it doesn't let you format because of those files, change the permissions on the files. If you can't do that, go into terminal and delete them with the "sudo" command, which is a permissions override.
beaman21

Return to MacBook