<

I got a new iMac (the newest one) and it doesn't have pages or microsoft word is this normal?

I got a new iMac (the newest one) and it doesn't have pages or microsoft word is this normal?

Postby dick10 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Mn my Macbook it had both. On this computer how ever has Text Edited which i don't like. I checked online about MS and its 140 dollars, and i don't even think that goes for mac. Help please.
dick10

Postby delray100 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:23 pm

Mn my Macbook it had both. On this computer how ever has Text Edited which i don't like. I checked online about MS and its 140 dollars, and i don't even think that goes for mac. Help please.
The Home and Student edition of Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac is $103 at Amazon.com right now.

Macs PCs and LINUX computers come with light duty real word processors (TextEdit, OpenOffice, Notepad), but if you want mid-grade or better software you have to shell out a few dollars.
delray100

<

Postby wardley76 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:26 pm

"Text Edited" is actually a default mac program called "TextEdit." It's the basic word processor for the iMac and it doesn't come equipped with all of the features that Microsoft Word and Pages has to offer. You can definitely purchase Microsoft Office (contains Word, Powerpoint, Excel) for the iMac. It's called "Microsoft Office for Mac" and the files are compatible with the PC version of Microsoft Office.The reason your Macbook probably had both was because you may have purchased it as bundled software. As I said before, PAGES is the apple-supported word processor that is designed for apple computers. It is compatible with Microsoft Word documents, and other program files as well.
wardley76

Postby dilon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:31 pm

"Text Edited" is actually a default mac program called "TextEdit." It's the basic word processor for the iMac and it doesn't come equipped with all of the features that Microsoft Word and Pages has to offer. You can definitely purchase Microsoft Office (contains Word, Powerpoint, Excel) for the iMac. It's called "Microsoft Office for Mac" and the files are compatible with the PC version of Microsoft Office.The reason your Macbook probably had both was because you may have purchased it as bundled software. As I said before, PAGES is the apple-supported word processor that is designed for apple computers. It is compatible with Microsoft Word documents, and other program files as well.
Apple has never included Microsoft Office or iWork (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) on any computer. Many computers have added software, especially if you buy second-hand.
TextEdit has always been included with OS X. It doesn't have half the options or formatting controls of the other apps, but it can open any .DOC document in a pinch, edit it, and save it.

"don't even think that goes for mac."
Goes for... as in price? See the last link below.

NeoOffice or LibreOffice are your best bets if you don't want to spend any money. NeoOffice is a better, faster software suite than the Open-Libre group, but the latest Neo costs $10. Last years version is real.
dilon

Postby eghan14 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:35 pm

Pages is about $20 through the Apple store. But If I were you, I'd just get Libre Office.

There are also many other real word-processing programs although I'm not sure if they all work for Mac. Just google and see what's out there. Wikipedia has an entry also that lists many.
eghan14

Postby roswald13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah just purchase open office
roswald13

Return to MacBook