<

Help! Spilled acetone nail polish remover on macbook pro keyboard?

Postby bemidii » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:43 am

Okay, I already know I'm an absolute idiot for letting this happen. My macbook pro is about 3 weeks old. About 5 hours ago I spilled a nickel sized amount of acetone nail polish remover on the top left side of the keyboard. Shortly after the spill, everything seemed totally fine, but I left the laptop upside down to dry for a few hours. I just tried turning it on and about 6 of the keys don't work. Also, there's something horribly wrong with the 'n' key, as 'nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...' comes up whenever I try to type. I have the Applecare protection plan, but I know my warranty won't cover this. What should I do? What are the chances everything will be fine again if I let it dry for a few more days? And about how much is this going to cost me if I end up having to take it in? Any help is truly appreciated. Thank you so much.
bemidii

Postby halliwell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:44 am

Apple overcharges you for everything. You take the risk when you buy their crap. It looks like your keyboard is permanently screwed up.
halliwell

<

Postby lander » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 am

There's not much you can do. The chances of everything being fine again if you let it dry is slim. Probably a hundred dollars or so to fix
lander

Postby thaw52 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:03 am

My friend spilled grape soda on his macbook pro keyboard. It cost $400 to repair, as apple doesn't cover water damage of any kind.
thaw52

Postby farnall100 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 am

Acetone can melt certain kinds of plastics, so maybe it messed some of the switches up that way. The good news is laptop keyboards can easily be replaced by someone who has an antistatic strap and screwdrivers, and also knows how not to f*** up a laptop. Just order a replacement keyboard for your model online, and take it, and the computer down to your local computer repair shop. When they disassemble laptops they normally have to remove the keyboard first anyhow.

It may be pricey, but nowhere near as much as buying a new laptop would be.
farnall100

Postby delainey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:09 am

Acetone can melt certain kinds of plastics, so maybe it messed some of the switches up that way. The good news is laptop keyboards can easily be replaced by someone who has an antistatic strap and screwdrivers, and also knows how not to f*** up a laptop. Just order a replacement keyboard for your model online, and take it, and the computer down to your local computer repair shop. When they disassemble laptops they normally have to remove the keyboard first anyhow.

It may be pricey, but nowhere near as much as buying a new laptop would be.
if you got it from a retailer you can return it due to the 14 -30 day return policy.
If its apple you can just tell them it was fine and then this started happening.
tell them you noticed a few other things like with the track pad is sticking, as well.
Make sure you call in to apple care and tell them so they document the case.
let them troubleshoot n do some restarts ect.. so they document they tried to
fix it.
Then when you return it to the apple store (assuming you got it their) they will think its just defective which it is. They will see though you called apple care n talked to a tech and specifically ask the tech if you can take it back. Let them know you are unhappy.
Stress you spent alot on this computer and you know from experience when a computer
has issues in the first month its a sign of bad things to come. All you can really do is
bluff them but its quite easy, the machine is so new and you want an exchange.
I say get an exchange cause if you get it repaired its gonna cost alot, it voids your
extra money you spent on applecare even in the FUTURE cause the liquid damage.
So your extra screwed this is your only chance to make it look like a defect n get a
new one with the APP refunded and then bought on the new one.

message me if you got answers
delainey

Return to MacBook