<

How do I delete infected files on my macbook?

Postby coolie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:28 am

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.7. Every time I scan my computer for viruses there are lots of files that are infected but I can't repair or delete them and I can't find them in my computer anywhere. What do I do!?
coolie

Postby blithe74 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:35 am

Did you purposefully seek out some Mac anti-virus software that you read about carefully, purchase and installed, or did this anti-virus software come to you like a gift from the gods? If this is uninvited "anti-virus" software, submit a whole new question and tell us what is the name of this helpful invader, and how it came to arrive on your computer, and skip down to read the paragraph "There have been some...". If you are using something you purposefully chose, read on...

If you use Windows on your Mac, or even if you simply purchase some Windows software intending to transport it to a Windows computer, you could have infected files. If your anti-virus software has identified these infections and shows their locations, but does not offer any option for removal. the infected files may be in an archive, such as a zip package. To get rid of one of those, drag it to the trash.

If you use Safari with no special cross-scripting protection, you could have received tracking cookies, but they are benign and can be easily removed with any anti-malware app such as MacScan.

There have been some Mac worms and Trojan horses over the last decade (can count them on one hand), but they are not active now... other than one insidious new-comer called "Mac Defender" or "Mac Protector" that pretends to be anti-virus software, but is nothing more than a front to steal credit card info. If you have a version of this new Trojan, read the news article at the link below.

Definitions:
-- virus: app that attaches itself to another app and can self-replicate.
-- worm: app that is unattached, self-replicating, self-sending (via network or attached disk).
-- Trojan horse: app that appears to be desirable, but is not.
blithe74

<

Postby eilis24 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:48 am

Don't worry about it.
Macs are difficult to infect with viruses.
The mac security is probably overreacting.
eilis24

Return to MacBook