<

How do you delete items from external hard drive for Mac?

Postby balamy56 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:44 pm

First of all I'm new to the Mac world.. I've had my Macbook Pro for about 6 months and am still learning how to do things.. I set up my external hard drive to automatically back up everything using Time Machine Backup on my Macbook Pro. I purchase a lot of movies and TV shows and to save room on the hard drive on my Mac I want to put them on my external hard drive. However, the last time I tried to add one of my TV shows to my hard drive it said it could not do it because there wasn't enough space. I went into my back ups and deleted some of the older backups, thinking that is what was taking up so much space on my external hard drive. However, when I moved them to the trash, it still is saying i only have 3 gb open on my external hard drive. Does anyone know how to fully delete those back ups? From some forums I've read online, they say moving items to the trash does not fully delete those items sometimes.. ughh.. i just need help with this!
balamy56

Postby zevulun56 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:54 pm

you go to start look it up right click and press delete
zevulun56

<

Postby teodoro » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:13 pm

It's due to the nature of Time Machine. You just deleted a bunch of symbolic links, not the actual items themselves.
teodoro

Postby carroll » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Plug the External Drive into a PC and delete your files.
carroll

Postby adisa5 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:23 pm

It's bad to delete files on time machine backups as it may corrupt them. I suggest adding a new partition to the drive to put items on.
adisa5

Return to MacBook