<

Loud, unusual buzzing noise from my Macbook's optical drive?

Postby ervine42 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:26 pm

I have a Feb. 2011 Macbook Pro, and I asked this same question on the Apple forums without a single response. I'm fairly new to Macs and I have never heard any disc drive make a sound like this before. Each time I insert a disc, the drive makes a loud whirring/buzzing noise that I wouldn't expect from a supposedly high-end device. Not even my PS3 sounds like this, nor did my old Dell laptop, which has a moving tray. I would just like to know if this is something I need checked out or if this sound is normal. I even mentioned the issue to tech support once and it was like nothing to them.
ervine42

Postby adalric » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Mac user since 1984. So I have used a few macs and they do not make that noise if there is nothing wrong. Since it is cheaper to just have the drive replaced, get it replaced. The cost of diagnoses is expensive and replacement is not.

Contact Apple tell them what you have, what you want and as the say "get 'er done".

I must add that breakdowns are unusual with the Macs I have had over the years, have currently 9 now and all are working except one, it is a big mac tower dual processor Mac G5 of 2003, ran for 7 years 24 hours a day and one day when I shut it down to do the monthly cleaning of cat hair from everything, it didn't want to start up. To diagnose it and replace a few things was more than the cost of a big iMac with twice the power and speed. So we are giving him away piece by piece. That is the only one from this century that is not working and I work mine hard.
adalric

Return to MacBook