<

My MacBook won't recognize flash drive?

Postby cayce96 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:12 pm

So my the flash drive does not show up on the dock or in the macintosh hard drive. So I'm not sure what to do...
cayce96

Postby hrycg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:14 pm

You are going to hate this but the flash drive is not supposed to show up on the hard drive or in the dock, it shows up on the desktop. To make sure we are talking about the same thing it is a dongle that you connect by plugging it into the usb port. You double click on the icon when it appears, it will open up and you can take off the stuff that is on it or put stuff on it.
...So close all your windows, clean up your desktop by going to View in the menu, right below Clean up is Arrange By, click and hold, move to right and unclick on the word Name. Now see what you have on the screen to the right. Plug in the flash drive, and it should show up on the desktop somewhere.

What we have over windows is that what ever we plug in shows up on the desktop. Hard drives, flash drives, card readers with cards in them, cameras, and dvd/cds.

Just in case it doesn't, that means that the flash drive might be damaged, or the usb port might be bad. So replug it into every usb port just to make sure it isn't showing up. Then you should find another mac user and check it out. If it checks out on their computer, then your usb port/s are probably bad. I doubt it will go that far ports are pretty tough.
hrycg

Return to MacBook