<

Pages 09' won't open my Word files?

Postby modraed38 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:47 pm

I have a new Macbook, and I have Microsoft Works Word Processor files that I need to put onto my mac, I have Pages and I can't seem to get the files to import. I've already have my files on my computer but it won't open them and it brings up a error message that reads "there is no default specified application to open this document"
The files on my pc were created with Microsoft Works Word Processor, and I purchase Microsoft Office for Mac and it still wont work.
Help Please?
thanks
modraed38

Postby brockley » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 pm

Right-click on one of those Works files and select Get Info. In the Get Info window, you'll see a drop-down menu labeled "Open with". Click that menu and see whether Pages is listed. If so, select it.

If not, select "Other..." and then use the Finder window that will open to find Pages. (It should be in the Applications folder). Then click on Pages to select it and click Add, at the bottom of the window.

At this point, you've told OSX to open that file with Pages from now on, i.e., you've specified the "default application."

Finally, in the Get Info window, click the Change All button. You'll get an "Are you sure" window -- click Continue.

Now, *all* your Works files will open in Pages when you double-click them.

This same procedure can be used to specify or change the default application for individual files, or all files of the same type.
brockley

Return to MacBook