<

Spam e-mails sent from my e-mail address without my knowledge?

Postby ahmik72 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:38 pm

I have been notified by someone from my address book that a spam e-mail has been sent from my e-mail address to all my contacts and I am horrified! I received the spam e-mail from a friend that I know has nothing to do with these kind of things and I deleted the e-mail immediately, but it seems to have done the damage. This has happened before sometimes last year and it makes me nervous. I have a MacBook and I always assumed that I am safe from viruses, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

The interesting thing is that the sent e-mails do not appear in my "sent" folder. The first idea I had that something was wrong was when I received a few e-mails with "failure to deliver" notices (to old e-mail addresses that are no longer valid and I never got around to delete) and the second was when I received an e-mail from one of my contacts saying that I sent a virus around. I'd be grateful for any advice about how to deal with this problem so it doesn't happen again.
ahmik72

Postby wynthrop43 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:41 pm

It could be a 'spoof"... that is an outside source that has no access to your computer basically imitating your email address, in which case there's not much you can do.

More likely you email account has been comprimised. Again not big deal, wise to change your password - ideally to some thing with mixed upper case, lower case, and mixed letters and numbers. A street address for example with half caps and half not. I'd suggest changing it every few days, at least for a week or so - and never go back to the password you used when this all happened.

Just to be on the safe side; run a virus scan making sure you have the latest updates.

This has happened to me before and a few of my friends - do as suggested and it'll end :)
You'll notice this isn't a rare occurance lol -> http://www.google.ca/search?q=email+not+sent+from+me&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a
wynthrop43

<

Postby matai » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Your account got compromised. First change your password. Account help.http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/acct/in… for just about anything to do with your account. Then run anti Virus and Anti Spyware. Should be fine then.
matai

Postby ekerd91 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:57 pm

You've been hacked. You need to change your password.
ekerd91

Postby alberic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:00 pm

You've been hacked. You need to change your password.
Change your e-mail password.
alberic

Return to MacBook