<

Why is my MacBook Pro constantly freezing?

Postby hedley » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:32 pm

I got my Macbook in 2010 not that old, only use it for pages and itunes. A few days ago I bought a few movies on itunes I currently have 31 movies almost 60gb. Was watching them one after another until I got to one and it froze so I thought nothing of it and restated my laptop.

When coming back to the restart it was really slow I could not find safari anywhere on my comp, thankfully I had firefox but none the less it was still really slow, to search for things I got a estimated time for 4hrs. So I shutdown my comp for a few hrs.

I later came back and everything seemed fine safari was back etc, I go into itunes and start a movie and here we go again it freezes, and now some reason my movies freeze and my internet for firefox and safari is really slow even to load a home page such as facebook for ex. I don't know whats going on it was not like this a few days ago until it froze on one move.

I am very open to suggestions for help if you need any additional info I can send it regarding the comp.
hedley

Postby burchard84 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:33 pm

Dig the malware out of it that macs don't get. LOL!
burchard84

<

Postby dent1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:40 pm

That's the thing about MacBooks, it's so... company biased. Apple makes it their way and only their way; can't really hack it or anything (why there's low risk of viruses on MacBooks which is a good thing but still...).

I don't know what to tell you... could be the software. Hardware always work as long as everything fit. It could be the memory space or something.

If you had Linux or Windows or Alien, I could help a lot.
dent1

Postby calbhach98 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Why is your macbook freezing? It's a mac.. you could of gotten alienware which can be half the price and 2x better
calbhach98

Postby tag » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:43 pm

@Coleen:
-- PRAM is unrelated to performance. Just because others say reset PRAM for every manner of ill doesn't men it makes any sense. Total waste of time here.
-- Safe Boot also is a waste of time, except that it runs fsck, a feeble app to repair the file system.
-- The app used in single-user mode is fsck (called "file system check" by some), not Disk Utility-- unfortunately, since DU is much more robust, but it is an OS X app, not a UNIX app. Also, this third "solution" is a waste of time if you got Safe Boot to go past the Apple logo (Safe Boot runs fsck).

Everything I suggested before is the same, except you have no recovery boot available, so you need the "Mac OS X Install DVD". Got it? No? You are sunk. Hoping to keep a computer running with no system reinstall disc is like hoping you won't get a flat when you have no spare tire.

Otherwise, continue with this troubleshooting like I said before.....

Do this...
-- Restart while holding option key for 45 seconds.
-- Insert the "Mac OS X Install DVD", wait five seconds, select the DVD, press Return.
-- Go past the language choice.
-- Open "Disk Utility".
-- Select "Macintosh HD" at left.
-- Select the "First Aid" tab, and click "Repair Disk".

If problems found, repair again.
If no problems, quit Disk Utility, and reinstall OS X. NOTE: Reinstalling DOES NOT erase any files.

BTW, all these smart-uss PC geeks here are right: Windows cannot ever freeze or run slow, and surely, no blue screen of death. You can do a Google search to confirm this fact.
tag

Postby otis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Please follow the steps below and see if that works or not.

Solution 1: Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
6. Release the keys.

Solution 2: Restart in Safe mode

1. Make sure that the computer is shut down.
2. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. 3. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Solution 3: Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode

1. Turn your Mac off.
2. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

3. Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

for any laptop replacement parts and spare parts visit laptopaid.com
otis

Return to MacBook